4 May 2008

railing screen




We've made it!

Long before we moved in our new home DH and I were already talking about the railing in the dinning room. It stops you from falling to downstairs but the gap was too big for DD. So I bought a set of curtains to cover the over 2 metres length so DD doesn't realize there're gaps behind them.

But it was only a temporary solution. We came up with an idea: make 3 frames each of which covers one side of the railing. Then cover the frame with fabric and bind the fabric onto the railing.

It took us almost half a year to find time to work on it. DH finally finished the frames yesterday, using the scrap sticks donated by his friend, with his limited tools and carpenting skills, and a bit of help from DD (don't know whether she helped to work on the frame or create more work for DH). Anyway, although I was shocked by the unsteadiness of the frames, I managed to work out three covers for the frames from the set of curtains that were used to cover the railing before. It worked out quite nice, to my surprise!

No comments: