Then I came across stencilling using freezer paper and got fascinated. Here's what I've learned so far:
1. Jacquard fabric paint / Acrylic paint + textile medium / gocco ink / maybe glitter fabric paint?
2. X-acto (exacto) knife / manicure scissors
3. images/shapes can come from cartoon books
4. freezer paper on back of fabric to keep fabric stable
5. can use spray adhesive + paper + fabric + printer
I'll try this when I have all things needed. It sounds very exciting!
Here's a flickr pool that I'm drooling over: http://www.flickr.com/groups/fpstencils/pool/
Here's a great tutorial: http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2006/03/little_elf_shir.html