12 Sep. 2010

3 new version night pads

After I modified the panty liner pattern and night pads pattern, this is the first time I make night pads using the new night pads pattern. As you can see from the comparison of the old and new patterns, the new version is a LOT longer than the old one, although the old one is already 34 cm long. I feel safer with the new length. As I won't have menstrual periods for a long time I don't have any chance to test it until I finish breastfeeding, which hasn't started yet as the new baby's due date is still 10 days away. But from memory of the testing of the old version, I believe this new length should be good enough for me.

Below is comparison of real products of new and old version. As I now 'overcast' the edges instead of 'turn-n-topstitch', the new version is even bigger than it should be. But I really like this overcasted version. It's so easy and looks so neat.
Again, as you can see, I used the thrifted baby wrap to make these night pads. I've fallen in love with this fabric. It's not just easy to sew, but also very thick so I don't need to sew a lot of layers. It's also super absorbent. Just two layers can hold up a LOT of liquid without me feeling wet! I love it a lot more than the bamboo fabrics, coz it feels a lot better when in place. The bamboo velour feels plush when using hands to feel it but doesn't do as good when 'doing the job'.

8 Sep. 2010

4 cloth pads



I made 4 cloth pads today, using the same materials as the panty liners I just finished. I really love working with this baby wrap thick cotton fabric. It's so easy to sew. I now just 'overcast' the edges instead of topstitching due to the thickness of the fabric. They look perfect. The farbic is very thick so I only use two layers in the body and two layers in the snap on soaker.

So for each pad, there're two layers of soaker fabric and another layer of soaker fabric sewn on to one layer of body fabric. Then a PUL layer as waterproof layer. They make a very thick pad. I can't wait to try them but I might have to wait for at least months since I'm planning to breastfeed....

But I can still use the body part (without snapping on the soaker) as panty liner if I wish.

Ways to recycle wool blankets

I thrifted a wool blanket from a charity shop long time ago thinking I could recycle it into something but never came up with a good idea. I was thinking maybe I could make a wool nappy cover out of it but since it's a woven not knitted one I didn't think it would work well. Plus DD has eczema so I was advised by our doctor not to use wool on her.

Anyway I found this link helpful. It gives a few very good ideas on recycling a wool blanket. I like the following and maybe try them one day:

1. use as batting in a quilt
2. sleep bag. Why didn't I think of that?
3. as padding in pot holders and hot pads.

7 Sep. 2010

5 more panty liners

My incontinence has been getting worse since my belly is getting bigger and bigger. So making more absorbent panty liners has become an urgent task. I couldn't find the bamboo fabrics so when I came across some very thick cotton baby wraps in Vinnies the other day I bought all of them. It was 50% off store wide so I got 4 of them for $1 each.

Today I got some time to make them. I used less than half of a baby wrap to make the absorbent layers and some PUL to make the waterproof layers. I cut out a body layer and a soaker layer of baby wrap cotton for absorbency, and a body layer of PUL. I really like this baby wrap fabric. It's super thick, doesn't easily fray (does it fray at all?) and very easy to work with.

I turned and topstitched one of them and found the fabric was quite thick for topstitching. So I went with the easy way, using zigzag to finish the edges instead of topstitching. I think the zigzaged ones look much neater than the topstitched ones. I really like how they turned out.

The absorbent side (left 4 are zigzaged ones and right 1 is topstitched one):
The waterproof (PUL) side:

4 Sep. 2010

Cot organizer

I saw this cot organizer and couldn't resist the urge to make one for my soon-to-come baby. Today DH took DD to a birthday party so I got plenty of time to play in my sewing room.

This is what I spent a whole day on (well of course not really a whole day coz I had to take some breaks):
In action:
Of course I used snaps to fix it on.

Some photos in progress:

As you can tell the fabrics came from scraps of the upholstery set that I freecycled from someone who finished almost 95%.

Some measurements:
1. Main body: cut 68x73, finished size 64wx69h (too high so probably should have been 64wx64h)
2. Straps: cut 26hx8wx12pieces. Fold each into 2cm wide 4 layers to sew into straps.
3. I didn't really spend much time with the pocket as that piece of scrap came with the perfect W and H.

3 Sep. 2010

Patches

This is a pair of pants that DD's grandma gave her as a gift. It's super comfy, with soft cord outside and very thin and soft knit as lining. And one day DD came back home with a huge whole in one of the legs.

I guess she'll need to wear steel pants in the future...

I can't just throw it out. It's too good to become useless. So I decided to patch it.

It's actually the first time I've ever patched a pair of pants. I picked this canvas fabric scrap and wanted to use the heat n bond but it wasn't working. The heat n bond did 'heat' but wouldn't bond.
So I had to do it all manual: using the pins to fix the patches on and handsewed them using blanket stitch:
I think it's pretty, although the patches do look too 'round':