26 Nov. 2011
After I sewed it up (again using scraps of fabric) and stuffed it up, I used some fabric paint to paint the face. It's a very ugly bunny. But DD1 loves it. It's the size of a palm, so easy for her to take everywhere.
I cut off the bottom part where the elastics are:
Then I sewed a ruffled rectangle on. A skirt!
After it was finished I found I made it too big. So DD1 can wear it for a couple of years before DD2 can inherit it again!
22 Nov. 2011
Here's a pretty dress that was a gift but only worn once or twice. It was a size 00.
I cut the bottom part off. It's basically a rectangle.
Here's a size 1 bodysuit which is too small for DD2.
I cut the top part off. Now it looks like a tshirt. I ruffled the bottom of the dress.
And attached the ruffle to the 'tshirt'. A new dress!
It was too plain. I used some scraps of the dress and made a narrow ruffle and decided to wrap the ruffle around the heart of the 'tshirt'. It's much prettier!
This dress looks a little bit big on DD2. But I think she'll grow out of it before the end of this summer!
5 Nov. 2011
But now after adding the skeleton it looks very Halloween, perfect for the holiday season!
1. I cut the front piece off the pink top, and pinned it onto the front of the red top. I didn't use heat-n-bond.
2. I handsewed （because DD2 wouldn't let me go near the sewing machine, but somehow I could manage to handsew while looking after her）the skeleton onto the red top, using red thread and running stitches along the outline of the skeleton.
3. I trimmed all the excess fabric off the skeleton.I found this easier than cutting the exact shape to sew onto the red top because you get plenty of fabric to play with.
I was so happy that I handsewed. I wouldn't have achieved this neat result with a machine. I think knit fabrics are better done this way, but woven fabrics can be a problem coz they would fray, unless we want the fraying result or we don't mind it.
9 Oct. 2011
After making so many useful bibs out of useless things, I went into my UFO (UnFinished Objects) drawer for inspirations.
This is a patchwork kind of thing I handsewed on the train long time ago from scraps of flannelettes (yeah you can see traces of my many other projects in this patch work). I'm never a patchwork/quilting person but I hated to waste such soft cotton fabrics even small scraps, so I did this thing but I didn't know what to do with it.
Now I find it's perfect size for my bib pattern!
Here's one that's finished!
Most of my bibs are handsewn on the train while commuting. Not many projects can be brought to be done on the train and bibs are fortunately just perfect. So I always cut them out in advance and grab one or two before I head to the train station. I can usually finish one or two in one day. It takes about 35 minutes each way on the train and I never feel it's long enough!
These are two turtle necks that I made for DD1 for winter but her head was too big to fit in and considering DD2 has a big head too I don't think they're useful any more.
So I've refashioned one into a bib:
8 Oct. 2011
Since I successfully refashioned the toddler tshirts into bibs last time, refashioning clothes into bibs has become my new obsession. I have just the right excuse now that DD2 is 12 months old and generates at least 3 dirty bibs a day. Yeah I definitely need more bibs to work!
This is a tshirt of DD1's. It was fine until after a couple of washes it went into a weird shape and DD1 just couldn't wear it any more. I guess the fabric wasn’t cut correctly. Talking about cheapy clothes...
and cut another layer out of a piece of fabric that I cut out maybe 3 years ago but never got to continue working on, then adding a layer of polar fleece to make a double sided bib (well actually all my homemade bibs are double sided). The piece that I cut off the back of the tshirt had to have some seam in it and I didn't like it so I covered it up using some lace cut from this unwanted tissue box cover.
Not too bad huh?
The other side:
27 Sep. 2011
The very well worn tshirt fabric is sooo soft...
I thought it was too much hassle to patch it up, and now it's beginning of summer and I don't have the appetite to make long pants, so I decided to cut off the lower part with the hole and make it into shorts:
22 Sep. 2011
The left one is a Pumpkin Patch of hers, which is getting smaller for her. I should have taken the photo with the gingham side out....
I used this pattern, without ruffles. I made the ruffled ones before but felt they looked too big with the ruffles.
The hat looks very nice. I like the fabrics that I used. I have plenty of these two fabrics and I think I'm gonna make some sundresses or sorts to match the hat.
I like it but I find it hard to find occasions to put it on her because there're two layers at front and it's gonna be too hot for her as a no-sleeve romper. So I took off the top layer, carefully enough to cut a hole at the shoulder:
20 Sep. 2011
This is one of them, a very soft thermo that's too skinny for me to wear. I kept it for years before I decided for it to go into my refashion pile.
I made it into baby leggings for DD2:
Then handsewed a few buttons to make it less plain: