26 Nov. 2011

Stuffed bunny toy

DD1 loves the stuffed toys I made her from scraps of fabrics. One day she requested a bunny. So I cut a simple pattern off a piece of paper. I didn't draw. I just made it up while cutting.
Photobucket
After I sewed it up (again using scraps of fabric) and stuffed it up, I used some fabric paint to paint the face. It's a very ugly bunny. But DD1 loves it. It's the size of a palm, so easy for her to take everywhere.
Photobucket

Baby bloomer to skirt

DD2 inherited this baby bloomer from a friend's baby and as much as I love it, I don't find her wearing it much. She's either in pants or dresses/skirts. So I decided to refashion it into a skirt.
Photobucket
I cut off the bottom part where the elastics are:
Photobucket
Then I sewed a ruffled rectangle on. A skirt!
Photobucket
After it was finished I found I made it too big. So DD1 can wear it for a couple of years before DD2 can inherit it again!

22 Nov. 2011

Refashioned baby dress

As DD2 grows some of her clothes I try to refashion them so they can fit her again. Recently I finally found some time to refashion.

Here's a pretty dress that was a gift but only worn once or twice. It was a size 00.

Photobucket
I cut the bottom part off. It's basically a rectangle.
Photobucket
Here's a size 1 bodysuit which is too small for DD2.
Photobucket
I cut the top part off. Now it looks like a tshirt. I ruffled the bottom of the dress.
Photobucket
And attached the ruffle to the 'tshirt'. A new dress!
Photobucket
It was too plain. I used some scraps of the dress and made a narrow ruffle and decided to wrap the ruffle around the heart of the 'tshirt'. It's much prettier!
Photobucket
This dress looks a little bit big on DD2. But I think she'll grow out of it before the end of this summer!

5 Nov. 2011

Halloween refashion from two baby tops

The left pink top was too skinny for DD2. I loved the skeleton design so I kept it hoping that one day I could refashion the skeletons onto some other clothes. And I came across the right red top and thought it would be perfect for this refashion project. The red top was worn by DD1 and it looked very plain and old.
Photobucket
But now after adding the skeleton it looks very Halloween, perfect for the holiday season!
Photobucket
1. I cut the front piece off the pink top, and pinned it onto the front of the red top. I didn't use heat-n-bond.
2. I handsewed (because DD2 wouldn't let me go near the sewing machine, but somehow I could manage to handsew while looking after her)the skeleton onto the red top, using red thread and running stitches along the outline of the skeleton.
3. I trimmed all the excess fabric off the skeleton.I found this easier than cutting the exact shape to sew onto the red top because you get plenty of fabric to play with.

I was so happy that I handsewed. I wouldn't have achieved this neat result with a machine. I think knit fabrics are better done this way, but woven fabrics can be a problem coz they would fray, unless we want the fraying result or we don't mind it.